Monday, December 24, 2007

In the Presence of Greatness

I'm finishing my preparation for my part of the Christmas Eve service at Olivet right now. I'm excited about the service tonight because we are combining with two other churches, Westminster (Evansville) and New Hope (Chandler). I'm always excited when the church breaks down artificial walls and begins to demonstrate what heaven will be like, when the Church is united.

In preparation for tonight, I've been thinking about the impact of the truly great have on what they do. For example, James Naismith created basketball in 1891. For nearly a century the game was played with some truly excellent players in that period. However, when Michael Jordan began playing for the Chicago Bulls, he showed us what the game could truly be like. He changed how the game is played forever.

Others that I can think of with a similar impact include: Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, William Shakespeare, and Chick-Fil-A. What about you? Who do you think has completely reshaped how something is done?

No comments: