Sunday, July 6, 2008

Supporting Church Planting

At Discovery we believe that we are called to be live sacrificially. We also believe that we are called to reproduce (just not in the back row of Kerasotes). One way that we are merging these two beliefs together is in supporting other church plants and making plans to help plant other churches.

At our June preview service (the next one is July 20th, btw), we were so appreciative to have some of our best friends show up from out of town just to help out. Kevin and Emily are expecting. They are expecting God to add to their family in November (17th...my birthday and Ajax's due date...disclaimer: the baby will not be named Ajax, but wouldn't it be cool if it were?). They are also expecting God to add to his family through a church they are planting in Knoxville. And what better place than in amid all the pagan UT fans. The Ridge will be launching in early 2009.

What am I excited about? I'm excited that perhaps Discovery might be able to partner with Kevin & Emily and others like them in multiplying the work of being churches that are making a difference in their communities. We're committing to give 10% of all our tithes and offering each Sunday at Discovery to support new churches. Another 10% (yes, a total of 20%) will go to support missions (like our partnership with InterVarsity and others).

How are you making a difference? How are you living sacrificially?

2 comments:

Sarah said...

This will sound lame, but my current sacrifice is that I'm going to serve in a ministry where there's this woman who really, really irritates me.

She's way older than me, but a much younger Christian, and I need to look at her needs instead of my preferences.

Kevin said...

Trey! Thanks so much for the blog love! (There should be a "Scrubs" song by that name... Hmmm...)

Anyway, thanks, and I apologize for not keeping up with my blog reading. I hope Sunday was awesome! I would call you but there's a massive t-storm and hail outside Panera right now... :(

Talk to you soon!