Thursday, October 30, 2008

Going Bi...Vocational (part one)

As we started dreaming about Discovery Church nearly 20 months ago, we had several strong assumptions. First, Discovery would be a church for those who don't like to go to church. Second, we were planting a church that would plant churches. Third, in order to allow us to do more ministry, I would have to be willing to be bi-vocational.

I assumed this last step would be pretty easy. I would blow the dust off the resume, update it a bit and send it to a few places. I knew that the job offers would poor in. After telling Mr. Gates and Mr. Jobs, "Thanks but no thanks," I would take a job managing Mr. Warren Buffet's money...or something like that. That is definitely not what happened.

Over the next few days, I'm going to lay out my experience and the insights that I have gained in the process. Furthermore, if you have been down this path, I would love to hear about your experience and feedback as well.

No comments: