Thursday, December 18, 2008

Overcoming the "Religious" Mindset

While reading today, I came across this quote:

"While in the Western spiritual tradition we have tended to see the "religious" as one category of life among many (we even call nuns and monks the "religious"), the Hebrew mind has no such distinction about a purely "religious" existence but is concerned with all of life...All of life is sacred when it is placed in relationship to the living God." -- Frost & Hirsch, Shaping of Things to Come

It rocked me. Why do we try to compartmentalize our lives and keep God in the "religious" quadrant? If He truly is God (and that perhaps is the primary question of life), then doesn't He deserve so much more than our Sunday morning box? If He truly is the author and sustainer of all, doesn't He deserve our everything?

I know for me that this is not always easy. I like boxes. It is easy to pull down the Bob's box or the debate box or the Discovery box or the family box. Boxes are okay...if there is a place for God in each box. How am I allowing God to work and move in and through me at Bob's? In the speech & debate community? At Discovery?

What about you? Do you have boxes? Do you have God in the boxes or is He simply on the shelf of your life, waiting on you to acknowledge His presence, His existence?

No comments: