Wednesday, November 21, 2007

What's in a Name

What do you want to name your blog? The seriousness of the issue struck me. I could put some lame name down (like "Trey's Thoughts" or "Trey's blog") but that's not really my style. I could put my name down ("Trey McClain") but that feels very ego-centered (wouldn't that make Freud happy). Instead, I figured to go with the abstract.

Anagnorisis is a Greek literary term that refers to the startling discovery, usually by the hero, that produces a change from ignorance to knowledge. Furthermore, it relates to a discovery about who (or what) the individual really is. One of the greatest contemporary uses of this technique is found in "The Sixth Sense," one of my all-time favorite movies.

God often brings these "anagnorisis" moments into our lives. These are the moments when you discover there is so much more that He has in store for you, more than you could ever imagine. It's your bride as she makes her way down the aisle on your wedding day. It is the realization that God has a specific purpose for your life. It is the call to leave the known and strike out on a new adventure.

My hope is that you will experience with me many more of these moments, that you will discover all that you were made for and that I would too.

No comments: