Wednesday, May 7, 2008

People of the Book (part one)

Just finished reading an article by John Ortberg entitled People of the Book. It caused a rush of thought and questions. Over the next four days, I'll unpack some of the ways that it knocked me around and the questions it raised.

First: the issue of passion for Scriptures within the church I serve starts with me. In our Student Ministry at Olivet, the middle school and high school students are not going to revere the Word unless they see that modeled in my life. At Discovery, the passion that I bring to my personal study of Scripture will be translated in the rest of the community. When my time with God is shallow, rushed or non-existent, how can I expect anything less from those in the pews (or in Discovery's case...the theater-seating). When I spend time in God's Word, it is a rush of exhiliration. I learn so much about who God is and what He has done throughout history and how He is moving in the future.


"By myself I have sworn, my mouth has uttered in all integrity, a word that will not be revoked: before me every knee will bow; by me every tongue will swear." -- Isaiah 45:23

No comments: