Thursday, November 27, 2008

I Never...

Back when I was in college, I remember watching people play a drinking game called "I Never." They would proudly confess to something that they had never done and those who had were forced to take a shot. This game served two purposes: (1) it allowed you to get completely hammered; (2) it made it okay to confess truly humiliating stuff.

As I was reading in the Bible tonight, I came across what must have been a really tough "I Never" for Amos. In Amos 7, the prophet is called out by the priest of Israel for speaking out against the king. Amos simply tells the priest that he never wanted to be a preacher, being a prophet wasn't on his top 10 things to do. He was just fine being the cattleman, raising steaks instead of raising the stake.

He then boldly calls out the leadership for the sinfulness and their waywardness. Wow.

Here's my thoughts: (1) Are my ambitions always pure? Am I constantly seeking what God wants most rather than my own desires? (2) Would I have the cajones to call out a king? a leader? Would I be willing to follow God in saying "Your wife will become a whore in town"? What in my life needs to change for me to have that complete and utter trust in Him and His Word?

No comments: