Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What Would Jesus Say to President Obama? (part two)

President Barack Obama is one of the most gifted communicators that I have ever witnessed. He has an amazing command of the English language (unlike our former President who once created the word: misunderestimated). One of the elements that makes Obama sucha  gifted orator is his use of self-depricating humor. Some of my favorite Obama quips include:"Contrary to the rumors that you've heard, I was not born in a manger ... I was actually born on Krypton, and sent here by my father Jor-El to save the planet Earth.”
  • I got my middle name from somebody who obviously didn't think I'd ever run for President."
  • "If I had to name my greatest strength, I guess it would be my humility. Greatest weakness? It's possible that I'm a little too awesome.”
Unfortunately, when every word that you say is immediately 
transcribed and broadcast across the planet, you need to be extremely cautious about what you say. Last month, our President appeared on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno." 
During that appearance he made an off-handed remark about his bowling that was very hurtful to many individuals. In light of that moment, I think Jesus might remind Mr. Obama, "Watch your words."

Pearl Strachan once wrote, "Handle them carefully,  for words have more power than atom bombs." Centuries before she would pen these words, the Apostle James said that the whole world is set on fire by our tongues. He was reminding us of the destructive nature of an undisciplined tongue. (To read all of what James has to say about the tongue, click here.) I believe Jesus would encourage Barack Obama to watch his words, to be intentional about what he says.

No comments: