Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

Vince Antonucci asks the question today, "What were you doing seven years ago today?"

I remember very clearly the events of 2001. I remember hearing on Bob & Tom that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center. Not many details were available and I supposed they meant a little crop-duster. I went into Jojo's to meet a friend for breakfast. When I came back out and started up my car, I heard the latest update: another tower had been hit. I was headed to my parents home (less than a mile away) and by the time that I arrived there the Pentagon had been hit. I immediately went to Olivet where we spent the day wondering what we could do and how we could speak in the midst of the crisis.

Often we encounter tough times, even earth-rocking devastation. How do we continue to function in the midst of the pain? Where do we find hope in the midst of the crisis? How can we move on when there seems no where to go?

"Turn to God." The answer seems trite, a little too Sunday-School. Yet, sometimes the answer is the obvious. Just because 4 seems like the easy answer to 2+2=? doesn't mean it is wrong. Psalm 77 reminds us that even when it seems like God has forgotten us, we can continue to trust in Him.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I was taking my baby for a walk around the neighborhood. When I got home, my mom told me the news. The idea that we would go to war was particularly unsettling, as my boyfriend at the time had just signed up for the military a month before.