Friday, September 12, 2008

You Can't Handle the Truth

I went through high school and started college with the dream of being an attorney. While keeping in debate, I loved the cross-examination time. It was so fun to watch your opponent squirm as you fired questions at them. Today, the favor gets returned to me. It's my time to squirm.

Today I will stand before the Midwest Presbytery of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church to transfer my ordination. As part of the process, I have already taken written exams and been orally examined by a committee. Today, all of the ruling & teaching elders at the meeting will be given the chance to play "Stump the Chump" with me. (FYI: I'm not that formidable as a chump.) They can ask anything they want to about the English Bible, Theology & Sacraments, The Book of Order, Reformed Tradition, and the Nature and Office of the Minister of the Word.

If you're a praying type, please do so. I can definitely use it. Hopefully, it won't turn into a Jack Nicholson moment where the elder is yelling, "I want the truth" and I reply, "You can't handle the truth."

1 comment:

Alan said...

You're in my prayers... They call them "Trials" of ordination for a reason.