Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Learning about Leadership from the Bible

Tony Morgan has been writing about leadership lessons that he learned from Scripture, particulalry the Gospel of Matthew. They have really got me thinking. More importantly they have got me reading. It hit me that God has been revealing much about what it means to be a leader and a Jesus-follower way before Warren Bennis, Warren Buffett, or Jimmy Buffett were around. So I've been crawling back through the beginning pages of Scripture and learning some amazing leadership lessons. Here's some of what I've learned.

  • God is creative. A leader should strive to be creative as well. Who wants boring when you can create the Grand Canyon? (Genesis 1:1)
  • God is waiting to move and work. Are we waiting in anticipation of what He is up to? (Genesis 1:2)
  • All that God created was expected to produce results. Jesus reiterated this in John 15. What is my life producing? What is the church I am serving producing? (Genesis 1:11-12)
  • All of God's creation has a purpose. Nothing is created by accident. You and I have a purpose. Does all I do reflect this purpose? (Genesis 1:17-18)
  • We reproduce what we are. If I want those who follow after me to be something, I need to be that something. I do not have the genetic make-up to create a 6'5" skinny NBA baller. I can reproduce Jesus-followers though. (Genesis 1:24)
  • God made me exactly like I am (though a few more inches would have been appreciated). I am not an accident. I bear His image and am sufficient to lead and develop leaders. I have the ability to be creative. (Genesis 1:26-27)
  • We are called to be leaders. We have responsibilities and assignments that we are expected to fulfill (Genesis 1:28).

No comments: