Friday, January 7, 2011

Insights from "It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get it and Keep it"

One of my goals for 2011 is to be more intentional in my reading. Over the next year, I hope to read 50 books (not overly ambitious by my previous standards). I'll try and share some of the insights I learn along the way.

The first book that I read in 2011 was "It" by Craig Groeschel. Craig is the senior pastor of LifeChurch.tv, which has campuses around the country. Craig and LifeChurch.tv have done an incredible job of maintaining a "kingdom-minded" focus. They have developed numerous resources that they give freely to others to grow the kingdom. One great example is YouVersion.

In "It," Craig shares his heart on how the church can get it. Here are some of my favorite insights from what truly is a great book.
  • "...it is what God does through a rare combination of these qualities found in his people: passion for his presence, a deep craving to reach the lost, sincere integrity, Spirit-filled faith, down-to-earth humility, and brokenness."
  • "It tends to follow big vision." Cast crazy big vision that is rooted in what God has called and gifted you uniquely to do.
  • "Teamwork is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results." I could write for days on this one thought. I am so thankful for the team that God has surrounded me with, the team that He has assembled at Discovery. They make life (and ministry) so much fun.
  • Push past the local max. Groeschel draws on Seth Godin's work to say that we need to be willing to fail (and sometimes fail big) in order to see the very best innovations come to life. We need to be willing to push through the failure to experience it.
  • "Let him stretch you. Attempt what others says can't be done. You have more in you than you realize. God has put more in you than anyone else sees."
One question for you: Have you ever experienced it? Where are you seeing it right now?

2 comments:

Dan Gross said...

I read It last year. I found it more inspiring than informative, but maybe that was the point. I'm reading Radical by David Platt right now. So far it's really good.

Trey McClain said...

Dan: I agree. However, there were several points that served as great reminders for me. Radical is on my reading list as well. Looking forward to it.