Thursday, January 27, 2011

When Faith Becomes Sight

The past week has been a blur. Not just a little blurry, but really hazy (sort of like this). This past weekend I had the chance to spend Saturday afternoon with several friends from my youth. Unfortunately the circumstances that led us to reunite were not good: we gathered to spend time with a friend before he passed.

I remember being this relatively timid middle school student when my family visited the church for the first time. The youth group had just returned from a trip to Ohio to lead a VBS. They were fired up and filled with stories. As our family settled into the church, I slowly began to get involved with that youth group. From the very beginning, I looked up to the Harper boys. J.D. was a clear leader within the group. He could make anyone feel important, valued, included.
Along with his brother Chuck (who I still claim was influential in my survival of high school), J.D. was always in the center of the excitement.

As we gathered on Saturday, the stories flowed. The pictures came out and were shared (what were we thinking back then...and why did I not destroy all these photos?). We reminisced and reflected on the skits we learned, the trips we shared, the practical jokes that were pulled, and the scars that some of these left with us. It was such a great time of community and
friendship.

Sunday night I received a phone call telling me that J.D. had passed away that morning. I was floored, bewildered, in disbelief. How could things fall apart so quickly?

As I sat in the funeral home today listening to the minister share about J.D.'s life and faith, I was encouraged. J.D. never lost sight of the fact that this whole life is but a part of the greater story. I am thankful that in the midst of his battle with leukemia J.D. did not lose heart. His faith never wavered and now his faith has become his reality. As St. Augustine said, "Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe." I'm confident that J.D. is now experiencing the very things that he longed for.

I'll miss J.D. but am thankful for how he helped shape me. May my life have a similar impact on those around me.

No comments: