Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Why I'm Excited...by Marty Smith

Over the last several weeks members of the Discovery Church leadership team (the elders and staff) have been sharing some of what has them excited about partnering with One Life. Our fourth installment has been written by Marty Smith. Marty is one of Discovery's elders and helps lead our set-up and First Impressions teams.


The thing that is most exciting to me about our partnership with One Life is seeing God at work through His people. I am talking about the other elders and staff of Discovery. In every meeting we have had, it has been awesome to feel the presence of God. It is amazing to see how God uses the strength of every person to accomplish what I think is the shared goal of One Life and Discovery. I love seeing Tammy light up when an opportunity for missions arises. I'm encouraged by how Jack shows genuine care and concern about the feelings of others and how we can demonstrate God's love to them. I appreciate the insightful input that Janet and Kitten have offered. I'm thankful for Trey's direction to look at the big picture. I am very thankful that God has placed me here, to add what I can and enjoy the ride. I truly believe what my favorite passage from scripture says: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart leaning not on your own understanding. Acknowledge him in all your ways and he will keep your path straight” (Prov. 3:5-6).

I am so excited because Discovery and One Life share the same vision. Discovery has always focused on those who do not like church and church planting. The main focus of One Life perfectly aligns with Discovery in that regard. It is so exciting to see God coordinating our efforts.


Personally I am excited because this new partnership could expand the influence and ministry we have. One of my big passions is student ministry; my prayer is that we could make a significant impact in the lives of the next generation.


In closing, I would like to encourage each of you to pray about and or ask questions about this partnership. Let’s all enjoy the ride!!

Note: Hey, Chase and Nick, I made it through this entire post without a cheesy joke…. Until now…What do you call a big white animal shaped like a tooth? A molar bear! LOL

No comments: