Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Why I'm Excited (part 1)

Do you remember the day or weeks before a major event in your life? Do you remember the way your stomach felt funny, like you just tangled with some bad sushi but you had not even had any? Or your mind was racing with a million different ideas and you were so excited that you couldn't sleep? Got those moments in your mind. Great. Now you know where I've been over the last several weeks.

I remember where I was when Discovery really began taking shape in my heart and mind. I knew we were called to plant a church on the Westside. I knew that God was going to go before us. I didn't know where we were actually going or more importantly (or least it seemed that way to me) how we were going to get there. I felt like I might puke from the excitement and nervousness. I was excited by one thing: VISION.

I did not know the details of meeting space, worship teams, production quality, or even things like board members or denominational affiliation. But I knew what we were being called to be. We were being called to be a church that reached out to those that were not in the church in a compelling and authentic way. We were not to ignore the culture or be lost in the culture, but wade through the culture to make the case for absolute truth and more importantly for the Way, the Truth and the Life.

As the elders have met and prayed about this recommendation to merge within the One Life Network, I keep being drawn back to the vision: to be a church for those who do not like church; to help people far from God experience Jesus. As we sat in meeting rooms and living rooms, I kept being drawn back to why we exist...and amazed that God was leading us to partner with another group that had same pressing desire.

Today's prayer: Lord, give us eyes to see as you see. Remove our blinders so that we can see (a) all that you are up to and (b) all the ways that you desire to include us in your awesome work. Let us be driven by our desire to see you glorified and made much of.

No comments: